Finding a pickleball paddle that can grow with you from beginner to advanced is challenging. Yet, that doesn’t mean you have no options. One of them is the ONIX Z5 Graphite pickleball paddle.
This Nomex honeycomb edge guard racket is the most popular paddle in the ONIX line. According to its manufacturer, the ONIX Graphite Z5 is an intermediate paddle for advanced – but not yet pro – players. However, its construction and specifications, including the perfect medium-weight design and comfortable grip size, make it a popular choice for kids, adults, and seniors of all skill levels.
Who Is the ONIX Graphite Z5 Pickleball Paddle Best For?
ONIX Graphite Z5 pickleball paddle is best for beginner and intermediate players who are serious about their game. It can also suit advanced players, whether or not they take part in official tournaments. The ONIX Graphite Z5 pickleball paddle is USA Pickleball-approved, so if you want an affordable but capable paddle, this one might be it.
About the ONIX Z5 Graphite Pickleball Paddle
ONIX Z5 Graphite pickleball paddle dominates recreational pickleball courts but can also be spotted in tournaments. It is a popular choice for beginners and intermediate players, either casual or pros. Its greatest advantage is the Nomex core which adds strength with a minimal impact on weight.
ONIX Graphite Z5 Pickleball Paddle Face
This paddle’s face structure is in the name. The ONIX Graphite Z5 pickleball paddle comes with graphite, a thin carbon fiber polymer known for its impressive strength. Graphite faces are very thin yet perfectly capable of providing a powerful strike. Due to the layer’s thickness, they also add minimal weight to the paddle. This is often an advantage for beginners who aren’t confident enough to handle a heavier racket.
That said, the ONIX Graphite Z5 pickleball paddle is actually middle-weight, with a weight range from 7.5 to 8.2 ounces. At this heft, the paddle is ideal for all kinds of players, regardless of your skill or strike preference. For maneuverability, a wide body shape is a characteristic of this paddle.
From a visual standpoint, the ONIX Graphite Z5 pickleball paddle features a honeycomb pattern on both faces, and the oversized model name covers most of the surface. You can choose from various colors, but all paddles in the series feature the same design elements.
As mentioned, the ONIX Graphite Z5 pickleball paddle features a Nomex core. If you’re new to pickleball and Nomex doesn’t tell you anything, know that this is a high-strength product with extremely light-weight characteristics. It is made of aramid fiber paper soaked in heat-resistant phenolic resin.
The unique combination of properties allows superior electrical insulation compared to other core types, improving the balance between speed and power.
When combined with the graphite face, this light-weight core adds long-lasting strength, making the ONIX Graphite Z5 pickleball paddle incredibly durable.
Graphite and Nomex aren’t the only ones responsible for resistance and durability. Like all high-end paddles from ONIX, the Z5 Graphite features an edge guard.
The edge guard adds the durability needed to protect the paddle from scratches, especially during active games when it might scratch the ground while performing return shots.
A revolution compared to other pickleball paddle brands is that the edge guard doesn’t cut off the sweet spot. ONIX achieved this by creating wider paddles. Hence, the space taken up by the guard doesn’t have a negative impact on playability. On the contrary, the edge guard improves play by adding durability.
One of the most important factors in a pickleball paddle is the sweet spot, and the ONIX Graphite Z5 pickleball paddle doesn’t disappoint. This paddle has a generous sweet spot and a wide playable area, a feature that makes it perfect for beginner and intermediate players that need to build up confidence.
In the hands of a pro player, the large sweet spot enhances versatility, especially during demanding games.
Details & Specs
- ONIX Z5 Graphite is a pickleball paddle designed for beginner and intermediate players but also suitable for entry-level pros.
- Equipment designed by players for players, so suitable for all ages and skill levels.
- Graphite faces minimize weight and increase durability, especially in conjunction with the Nomex honeycomb core.
- This USAPA and USA Pickleball-approved paddle is suitable for all official tournament games.
- While strength and performance are excellent, the combination of materials keeps the paddle face rigid. This is a noisy pickleball paddle.
- Great ball control, superior feel, and outstanding touch make this the ultimate pickleball racket for improving your game.
ONIX Graphite Z5 Pickleball Paddle Specs
- Paddle length: 15.5 inches
- Paddle width: 8.125 inches
- Handle length: 5 inches
- Handle grip size: 4.25 inches
- Total paddle weight: 7.5 to 8.2 ounces
- Face material: Graphite
- Core material: Nomex
- Core pattern: Honeycomb
- Edge Guard: Yes
- Paddle body: Widebody shape
- Handle shape: Tennis handle shape
Warranty & Returns
All ONIX paddles come with a 90-day warranty against workmanship and manufacturer defects. An extended warranty may be available from independent sellers, but you’ll have to check the seller’s terms and conditions.
Paddles purchased from authorized dealers can be returned where the item was originally purchased within 14 days after purchase or after the date of receipt. If you purchased the item directly from ONIX Pickleball, you have 30 days of time to return it.
Refunds are processed after the seller receives the returned item – and only if the paddle doesn’t present any signs of use. Keep in mind that you must return the paddle in its original bag and with all tags still attached, so don’t dispose of the bag and don’t remove the tags unless you’re sure that you want to keep the paddle.
Is ONIX a good pickleball paddle?
ONIX is a pickleball equipment manufacturer, not a paddle model. Pickleball paddles from the brand are designed by players for players and are used by pickleball stars. The ONIX Graphite Z5 pickleball paddle, specifically, is a great choice for beginners and intermediate players.
What is the difference between ONIX Z5 Mod and Z5?
The only difference between these two models is the different designs on the paddle face and different colors. Otherwise, the two paddles have the same specs and characteristics.
Are graphite pickleball paddles better?
Graphite pickleball paddles are more resistant than composite ones, and they are lighter than both composite and wood. Generally, they are chosen for performance.
Is ONIX a good pickleball brand?
Yes, ONIX is a leading pickleball manufacturer. However, the brand manufactures a wide range of paddles and equipment. Whether the chosen paddle is good for you depends on your skill level, play style, and the actual paddle you decide to buy.
The ONIX Graphite Z5 pickleball paddle, for instance, is ideal for intermediate players. Yet, if you need a pro-Nomex paddle, the performance pickleball paddles from the brand include the Evoke and Summit series, among others.
- A good choice for beginners and intermediate players who want more power than ball control.
- ONIX Graphite Z5 pickleball paddle features a Nomex paddle core and a graphite face.
- This medium-weight graphite paddle provides balanced control and strike power.
- The ONIX Z5 Mod shares the Z5’s characteristics but features a different face design and new colorways.
- In total, you can choose from 13 colors and two graphic options.
- Regardless of the preferred model, this paddle features a wide sweet spot and an edge guard.
- The medium grip style and oversized paddle shape make this racket ideal for all ages.
- A perforated cushion grip delivers comfort similar to a table tennis racket.
- Overall, the ONIX Graphite Z5 pickleball paddle delivers outstanding ball control and perfect balance.